Ever since we got those two trees cut near the house this past spring (which I wrote about in this post), we've been busy dealing with the wood. A bit at a time, here and there.
We got our woodshed cleared out and organized (and ready to fill up again.) Jeff saw that bugs had done some damage to the posts on our woodshed. We thought we'd only have to replace the uprights, but then he saw the damage was throughout the entire structure. That was a huge job for Jeff and I to build that thing and the idea of having to do it again made us feel overwhelmed. We needed to start getting the wood under cover and decided not to tackle the project of re-doing the woodshed right now. It can wait.
We've been filling up the woodshed with maple and hemlock. Jeff has been splitting logs. We've been hauling and stacking. Branches and twigs are being saved for kindling. All the wood is bone dry right now, which is wonderful. There is rain in the forecast, so we've been pushing to get more of the wood in while it's still dry. There's so much more wood to deal with and what we have in our woodshed is not even close to what we need to get through the winter. But it's a start. Each and every piece of wood will bring us warmth this winter, and for that I'm so grateful.